What do the geolocation collection errors mean in terms of actual device (phone) settings?

Imported Question by @michael · Sep 24, 2016 at 10:35 AM

We are seeing the following errors for forms that are submitted (on the mobile app) that don’t have geolocation data. What do each of these errors mean in terms of actual device (phone) settings (ie airplane mode, GPS manually turned off, etc…)?

Provider ‘passive’ did not provide a location.
Provider ‘network’ did not provide a location.
Provider ‘gps’ did not provide a location.

The passive provider is sort of like a location cache to save battery and time if multiple location requests come in around the same time. There are no settings specifically for the passive provider as it just stores the results of the other providers.

The network provider returns the location based on nearby WiFi access points and cell towers. Make sure location services is fully enabled.

The GPS provider returns the location based on GPS information. Make sure location services is set to “High accuracy” to use GPS as well as network information (known as Assisted GPS).

Definitely check that airplane mode is off as it’ll block all the above providers.

For some reason on my Tecno Y4 location services is locked to “battery saving” mode and I can’t find any GPS information but it might be that I have a faulty device.

2 Likes