Upgrade training and support for UI/UX changes

With CHT-Core Framework v3.13.0 in development, I’m curious to hear about others’ experiences with upgrading to a newer version of the CHT that has UI/UX changes:

What has worked well?
What are some challenges you’ve faced?
How do you determine what kind of training is needed?
If we were to release a new version of the CHT every day, how would you handle that?

For added context, we are working on a UX update that makes it easier to complete all household tasks in the same visit. Any insights into potential training processes will help us think through what kind of additional support we may be able to offer for user-facing updates in the future.

A couple of ideas we’ve considered are:

Feedback appreciated!

2 Likes

So glad you brought up this topic @Nicole_Orlowski. I’ve heard a variety of views on this. These include hesitance to upgrade because of:

• the high cost of coordinating upgrades (bringing CHWs together to ensure they all sync to get the latest upgrade, and training them on new features)
  • concerns that the new upgrades would require configuration updates

I think the self-service help for remote training could be useful especially with the right supervision and support. I’m also curious to hear other thoughts from the community. Perhaps @atria @waok2 @nKataraia @iesmail @bindugowrig or others might have some more insights on this. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What has worked well?

• The release documentation has improved significantly

• Upgrades in Low connectivity and for low literacy users stil would require significant effort in rollout
    *Upgrades from unsupported versions could be supported better.

How do you decide what kind of training is needed?
*For CHWs the feature/ UI/UX changes always require training to avoid errors.
*For technical teams breaking changes and implementation considerations would require guidance.

3 Likes

What has worked well?
Partner engagement has greatly improved.

Upgrading at scale is still an issue, we have had to adapt to a phased upgrade approach stretching several weeks to accomplish the objective.

How do you determine what kind of training is needed?
Entirely depends on the scope of UX/UI changes done on the upgrade/feature introductions and improvements.

3 Likes

Thanks @Patrick_K and @kenasiago for your responses and welcome to the CHT forum! I’m glad to hear documentation and engagement has improved :sparkles:

Understanding your challenges, could you describe your ideal scenarios for the upgrading and training process?

I’m also curious to hear your thoughts on whether or not low literacy users might be able to be trained remotely, if provided with adequate support, and what it would take to get us there if possible.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Hi @Nicole,

I would like to suggest a functionality of a feature flag. Basically, the ability to turn on/off a particular feature. This will come in handy let’s say in a scenario where we want to upgrade to a new version but we gradually want to introduce the features to our CHVs instead of all at once.

Also, sometimes we upgrade to a new version because it contains certain bug fixes or a particular feature. In doing so, we also have to obviously accept the other new features. But if we have feature flags, we can turn off the features which we think we aren’t ready to use just yet.

1 Like