Recommended Android phones for the CHT

CHT community members have often raised the question on what smartphones are recommended for their CHT mobile applications. Updated documentation exists on the minimum recommended phone specifications. However, not much has been documented about the exact devices that have been tried and tested.

New models are released every year as old models go out of market making it hard to maintain a list of specific devices that a project could use. In some cases, certain models may not be available in some countries or are difficult to acquire in bulk. Medic recommends procuring of hardware locally to ensure ease of replacement, repair, sustainability, and hardware support when needed.

Below is a list of phones that Medic has recommended in the past (categorized by cost). This list is outdated, and it would be great to hear from others what devices have worked for you more recently.

Low-cost devices:

• LG L60*
  • Samsung Duos*
  • Lenovo A1000

Medium-cost devices:

• Samsung Galaxy J5*
  • Huawei Honor 4x*
  • Huawei G Play mini*
  • Motorola Moto X play
  • Tecno W3, R6, WX3P*

High-cost devices:

• OnePlus 3T
  • Nexus 6

*Devices marked with an asterisk have been tested and used by Medic and Medic’s partners.

I’d also love to hear thoughts from @kenn @Marina @philip @sue and anyone else who has had extended experience on this topic.

2 Likes

For projects I’ve seen, I’ve been a bit surprised to see a lack of weatherproof casing accompanying devices. I’ve cleaned mud and dust out of broken phones and commonly witness devices broken due to mud, water, or trauma.

I suspect weatherproof cases for phones would extend device lifespans and should be part of our procurement recommendations. Likely a good investment toward project sustainability.

4 Likes

Some projects currently use:

• Tecno Spark 5 pro (also called KD7)
  • Spark 4 Air (also called KC6)
  • Tablet Samsung Tab A