Open Access: A Discussion of Perceptions and Misconceptions by Health Information For All

Courtesy of Neil Pakenham-Walsh of Health Information For All:

I would like to extend an invitation to you all to join HIFA for our
next sponsored thematic discussion:

OPEN ACCESS: PERCEPTIONS AND MISCONCEPTIONS

The discussion will start on 22 July and will last for 4 weeks.

We shall explore what OA is (and isn’t), different types of OA, the
difference beteen OA and free access, the impact of OA on authors and users of research (especially those in low- and middle-income
countries), the link (if any) between OA and quality of content
(excluding predatory journals - we aim to address this ‘cancer’ in
publishing in a future discussion) - and more!

The key findings from our discussion will be collated and presented
at the Asia Pacific Association of Medical Journal Editors Convention in Xi’an City, China, 3-4 September 2019.

This should be a fascinating conversation; and given the Community Health Toolkit’s commitment to open access resources, I’m especially excited to join in!

1 Like

Cool to see HIFA focusing on Open Access. It’s a priority for me that, as much as possible, all the research being undertaken by our community is available on an open access basis. In most cases this means organizing with funders to be able to pay open access publication fees. In the few cases where it isn’t possible to make an article open access through the journal, it’s still possible for authors to post on their own website the last draft of their manuscript in the state it was in when it was accepted by the journal–it’s called the “author accepted manuscript.”

If an author posts that AAM to a University repository (like I posted my PhD thesis in Cambridge’s Apollo repository) or their academia.edu profile, the PDF will show up in Google Scholar search results, which is a pretty next-best-thing to having the journal’s formatted version be open access.

1 Like