In the past few days, the Medic Mobile team build a prototype COVID-19 RDT App for Community Health Workers. The current prototype is based on draft test procedures in Partners In Health’s Coronavirus response plan and documentation. This is an open-source app that could support CHWs administering an RDT for patients or themselves. Here’s the demo video (2 min 30 sec).
The prototype uses the workflow for the BioMedonics antibody (IgM/IgG) test, but we could quickly adapt for a different test. Before this is deployed, app builders will iterate based on the context. Documentation on our rationale and the app workflows can be found here; source code and images can be found in a public repository here.
We wanted to be prepared in case CHWs or other providers are administering RDTs. Our hope is that a tool like this could:
- Help health workers stay safe
- Improve quality of testing and care
- Support updated testing and triage protocols as the context changes
- Improve patient follow-up
- Support patient education
- Be reused and adapted as needed, integrated into existing apps and platforms
We’d appreciate input from you all. Do you have feedback on the tool or workflows? Where should we be prioritizing deployment?