Issue running tutorial: "Install Valid TLS Certificate"

Hi, I am having some issue following the tutorial section of Install Valid TLS Certificate.

I ran docker compose up and I can see “medic-os” when I run the command to view list of containers i.e. docker container ls. But I am getting following message:

‘medic-os’ docker container is not running. Please start it and try again.

when I run ./scripts/add-local-ip-certs-to-docker.sh

Can someone please advise? I am using Ubuntu with VirtualBox and I have also attached the screenshot below.

1 Like

Hey @niraj ! Thanks for posting your question.

I think the issue is that you’ve set up the medic-os with sudo and you’re running the add-local-ip-certs-to-docker.sh script without sudo. This means that your local, non-root user can not see the the medic-os container that was created by the root user.

Ideally docker containers are run with out root or sudo for security reasons. Since the add-local-ip-certs-to-docker.sh script seemed to run OK with out sudo can you try recreating your haproxy and medic-os containers with out sudo and see if the add-local-ip-certs-to-docker.sh script will work?

2 Likes

@mrjones thank you for the response. I get error message of permission denied if I run without sudo so, instead I ran sudo ./scripts/add-local-ip-certs-to-docker.sh and results matches as shown in tutorial. However, I am getting connection timeout when I run curl -I 192-168-68-40.my.local-ip.co|egrep 'SSL|HTTP|Server' instead of success as shown in tutorial screenshot. I did replace 192-168-68-40 with my IP address. I will look more into it.

@mrjones sorry, I made a silly mistake. I forgot to replace . with - in the IP address while replacing my IP address in curl -I 192-168-68-40.my.local-ip.co|egrep 'SSL|HTTP|Server' Now, it does not show connection timeout error. Thanks again for the help.

@niraj - great thanks for reporting back! I’m glad we were able to resolve it.