Error while piping nvm to zsh shell during installation

Hi everyone,

I am using Ubuntu 22.04 and on zsh shell.

While following the instructions to Install NodeJS, npm, and Docker as part of the CHT Core dev environment setup I ran into an issue.

I ran the first command and that worked as expected.

export nvm_version=`curl -s https://api.github.com/repos/nvm-sh/nvm/releases/latest | jq -r .name`

However, when I ran the second command

curl -o- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nvm-sh/nvm/$nvm_version/install.sh | $SHELL
. ~/.$(basename $SHELL)rc

I got the following error in my terminal

Error: the install instructions explicitly say to pipe the install script to `bash`; please follow them

If I understand correctly, the $(basename $SHELL) part of the second command is designed to work both for bash and zsh. However, it did not work for me despite several tries.

My workaround to the issue was to do as the error message suggested and pipe it to bash directly with

curl -o- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nvm-sh/nvm/$nvm_version/install.sh | bash

Then I copied the following lines to my ~/.zshrc.

echo 'export NVM_DIR="$HOME/.nvm"' >> ~/.zshrc
echo '[ -s "$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh" ] && \. "$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh"' >> ~/.zshrc
echo '[ -s "$NVM_DIR/bash_completion" ] && \. "$NVM_DIR/bash_completion"' >> ~/.zshrc

with that I have NodeJS 16.20.2 and nvm version 8.19.4 working in my zsh

This made me laugh. Passive aggressive error messages :smiley: