Docker-Compose Error while setting up the first project

Hello Support,

I am getting an error while docker-compose up when setting up the first project.

Below is the error

The error is happening on Ubuntu 20 LTS

Hi @Fred_Kwebiha - welcome to the forum! Thanks a bunch for making your first post here - it’s always great seeing a member of the community reach out here so we can help them and also so others can learn from your post.

Looking at your errors, it looks like the ${PWD} values aren’t getting expanded so the two environment variables of DOCKER_CONFIG_PATH and CHT_COMPOSE_PATH are being passed in as NULL values to docker compose.

Assuming you’re following the app developer setup steps, a fix should be to replace ${PWD} with the current path of ~/cht-4-app-developer. Try running these two commands:

cd ~/cht-4-app-developer
CHT_COMPOSE_PROJECT_NAME=app-devl COUCHDB_SECRET=foo DOCKER_CONFIG_PATH=~/cht-4-app-developer COUCHDB_DATA=~/cht-4-app-developer/couchd CHT_COMPOSE_PATH=~/cht-4-app-developer COUCHDB_USER=medic COUCHDB_PASSWORD=password docker-compose up

Please let us know if that fixes it!

Thanks @mrjones

I am getting the same error, after following your steps. The error is volume name is too short, names should be at least two alphanumeric characters

@Fred_Kwebiha ,

Oh no! I’m sorry the issue is still persisting. Let’s try:

1. Giving the result of docker volume ls
  2. Can copy your terminal text into this thread? I’d like to see everything from start to finish. I’ve pasted mine in below as an example.
  3. If this is too frustrating, we’ve created the CHT Docker Helper which should automate a lot of the manual steps you’re facing problems with.

Cheers,
-adj

My terminal text running the command:

$ mkdir  ~/cht-4-app-developer && cd ~/cht-4-app-developer
curl -s -o docker-compose.yml https://raw.githubusercontent.com/medic/cht-upgrade-service/main/docker-compose.yml
curl -s -o cht-core.yml https://staging.dev.medicmobile.org/_couch/builds_4/medic%3Amedic%3Amaster/docker-compose/cht-core.yml
curl -s -o cht-couchdb.yml https://staging.dev.medicmobile.org/_couch/builds_4/medic%3Amedic%3Amaster/docker-compose/cht-couchdb.yml

$ cd ~/cht-4-app-developer
CHT_COMPOSE_PROJECT_NAME=app-devl COUCHDB_SECRET=foo DOCKER_CONFIG_PATH=~/cht-4-app-developer COUCHDB_DATA=~/cht-4-app-developer/couchd CHT_COMPOSE_PATH=~/cht-4-app-developer COUCHDB_USER=medic COUCHDB_PASSWORD=password docker-compose up

[+] Running 1/0
 ⠿ Container cht-4-app-developer-cht-upgrade-service-1  Created                                                                                   0.0s
Attaching to cht-4-app-developer-cht-upgrade-service-1
cht-4-app-developer-cht-upgrade-service-1  | Listening on port 5008
cht-4-app-developer-cht-upgrade-service-1  | networks:
cht-4-app-developer-cht-upgrade-service-1  |   cht-net:\

The results in the Terminal are as below.

fred@fred-VirtualBox:~$ cd ~/cht-4-app-developer/
fred@fred-VirtualBox:~/cht-4-app-developer$ CHT_COMPOSE_PROJECT_NAME=app-devl COUCHDB_SECRET=foo DOCKER_CONFIG_PATH=~/cht-4-app-developer COUCHDB_DATA=~/cht-4-app-developer/couchd CHT_COMPOSE_PATH=~/cht-4-app-developer COUCHDB_USER=medic COUCHDB_PASSWORD=password sudo docker-compose up
WARNING: The DOCKER_CONFIG_PATH variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.
WARNING: The CHT_COMPOSE_PATH variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string.
Creating cht-4-app-developer_cht-upgrade-service_1 ... error

ERROR: for cht-4-app-developer_cht-upgrade-service_1  Cannot create container for service cht-upgrade-service: create .: volume name is too short, names should be at least two alphanumeric characters

ERROR: for cht-upgrade-service  Cannot create container for service cht-upgrade-service: create .: volume name is too short, names should be at least two alphanumeric characters
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.
fred@fred-VirtualBox:~/cht-4-app-developer$ sudo docker volume ls
DRIVER    VOLUME NAME
fred@fred-VirtualBox:~/cht-4-app-developer$

@Fred_Kwebiha - I was doing some testing and have reproduced your original error on an older version of docker. Can you let me know which version of Docker and Docker Compose you’re running? Do so by showing the results of these commands (some may fail):

docker -v
docker-compose -v
docker compose  -v

Here’s what I see when I run these:

Docker version 23.0.5, build bc4487a
Docker Compose version v2.11.2
Docker version 23.0.5, build bc4487a

@mrjones Find results below.

docker --version
Docker version 23.0.4, build f480fb1

docker-compose --version
docker-compose version 1.27.4, build 40524192

@Fred_Kwebiha - thanks!

Can you try upgrading to the latest version of docker-compose? The 2.x version might fix your issue.

What are the upgrade steps? Kindly list them for me.

Hi @Fred_Kwebiha ,

Just checking if you were able to resolve the issue? @mrjones had shared the stackoverflow link that guides on upgrading docker-compose:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/49839172

Please let us know if it fixed the issue or if there is still any error.

Hello @niraj

I am still getting issues even after upgrading docker-compose to the latest version

docker-compose --version

Docker Compose version v2.17.3
cd ~/cht-4-app-developer
CHT_COMPOSE_PROJECT_NAME=app-devl COUCHDB_SECRET=foo DOCKER_CONFIG_PATH=~/cht-4-app-developer COUCHDB_DATA=~/cht-4-app-developer/couchd CHT_COMPOSE_PATH=~/cht-4-app-developer COUCHDB_USER=medic COUCHDB_PASSWORD=password sudo docker-compose up
[sudo] password for fred: 
WARN[0000] The "DOCKER_CONFIG_PATH" variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string. 
WARN[0000] The "CHT_COMPOSE_PATH" variable is not set. Defaulting to a blank string. 
2 error(s) decoding:

* error decoding 'Volumes[1]': invalid spec: :/config: empty section between colons
* error decoding 'Volumes[2]': invalid spec: :/docker-compose: empty section between colons

thanks for letting us know, @Fred_Kwebiha ,

Hi @mrjones, any other suggestions you would recommend to resolve this issue?

@niraj and @Fred_Kwebiha - how about trying the docker helper?

@mrjones I have tried the helper, it also fails. below is the output

fred@fred-VirtualBox:~/cht-4-app-developer$ ./cht-docker-compose.sh
No project found, follow the prompts to create a project .env file.
Would you like to initialize a new project [y/N]? y
How do you want to name the project? test
Downloading compose files ... done 

[+] Running 8/8
 ✔ cht-upgrade-service 7 layers [⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿]      0B/0B      Pulled         174.5s 
   ✔ 9621f1afde84 Pull complete                                           15.9s 
   ✔ 79ef350afea0 Pull complete                                           87.8s 
   ✔ d3ad581b5912 Pull complete                                           91.8s 
   ✔ ee1cc07adb60 Pull complete                                           92.3s 
   ✔ 6ff0c1acf8d2 Pull complete                                          155.6s 
   ✔ 8c682c1a2d58 Pull complete                                          155.8s 
   ✔ 4e97924f9b18 Pull complete                                          161.5s 
[+] Running 2/2
 ✔ Network test-cht-net                      Cre...                        0.5s 
 ✔ Container test-dir-cht-upgrade-service-1  Started                       2.2s 
Starting project "test". First run takes a while. Will try for up to five minutes................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

\033[0;31mFailed to start - check docker logs for errors and try again.\033[0m

@Fred_Kwebiha - I’m so sorry to hear the problem is persisting! While it’s still a feature in development, can you try the beta of the DEBUG feature of the Docker Helper? Here’s how:

1. go into the directory where you have CHT Core checked out
  2. switch to the dev branch with: git fetch origin; git checkout cht4-compose-helper-debug
  3. follow the normal steps to start the docker helper, but run it with DEBUG=true ./cht-docker-compose.sh

You can see a video of what it will look if that will help!