Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Hi all, so great to read about everyone, I’m excited to join the CHT forum!

I’m David Citrin and I work as the Director of Evidence to Policy at Possible, and am also an Affiliate Assistant Professor of Global Health and Anthropology at the University of Washington, and Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor at Arnhold Institute for Global Health. I’m based in Seattle with trips back and forth to Nepal throughout the year.

I get jazzed about people-centered digital health, mixed-methods implementation research, and medical anthropology for critical global health. I’m looking forward to connecting with folks here, and learning from everyone in this space!

9 Likes

Hi David, so glad to have you here! Medical anthropology is fascinating (though I’ve only encountered it superficially in articles) and I’m excited to see it applied to our conversations! Our full team at Medic Mobile is just back from a meet-up in Nepal; you should connect with our local team in Kathmandu the next time you’re abroad!

1 Like

Thanks @francesca, definitely will do!

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

It’s great to join this community. I’m the director of Ladysmith, a feminist consultancy that helps international organizations collect, analyze and take action on gender data. Some of our more recent projects include working with UNICEF on identifying discriminatory gender norms that limit access to health; with UN Women on their flagship report, Progress of the World’s Women 2019-2020: Families in a Changing World; and most recently with Facebook, publishing a report on how the tech sector can help bridge data gaps across the SDGs, including in last-mile healthcare.

We’re also developing Gender Data Kit, a set of technologies, methods and resources for gender data projects. Our first use case is on the Colombian border with Venezuela, where women are experiencing extraordinary levels of sexual and gender-based violence in the context of the largest mass migration in recent history. We’re using WhatsApp to connect vulnerable women with services, and to generate a picture of their needs so that humanitarian and government actors can better respond.

We often find ourselves in conversations with organizations in the community health community, and I’d love to explore opportunities for collaborating, including on the COVID-19 response. In the migrant population in Colombia, for example, we’re seeing rates of gender-based violence soar as women are asked to ‘shelter-in-place’ with violent partners, meanwhile with their access to medical attention and justice systems cut off.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out!

9 Likes

Hi all,
I’ve been lurking here on the forum for a while and thought I’d introduce myself :slight_smile: I’m Sudip Pokhrel, Government Partnerships Manager at Medic Mobile. The city of Kathmandu is my home base, and I’ve been with Medic for more than three years. Its been a great journey so far, nurturing partnerships with governments, seeing them adopt and use our tools, and supporting community health workers on their noble mission. I’m super excited about the CHT, and its value proposition as an open-source, public good for strengthening community health worldwide!

Off work, I’m often spotted in wild, secluded places watching birds and taking pictures.

7 Likes

Hi everyone,
I just recently got to know Medic Mobile through Mark Herringer (healthsites.io), who invited me to join the discussion around the COVID 19 response.
I am a research associate at the Heidelberg Institute for Geoinformation Technology (heigit.org). The HeiGIT improves knowledge and technology transfer from fundamental research in geoinformatics to practical applications, with a specific focus on OpenStreetMap (OSM) and other geodata and humanitarian and public health contexts. We work in close collaboration with the fellow members of the Missing Maps initiative (missingmaps.org), including Red Cross, MSF, Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, healthsites.io and other humanitarian organizations. Our main services include the OpenStreetMap based openrouteservice (openrouteservice.org), the ohsome OSM History framework (ohsome.org) and MapSwipe Analytics (MapSwipe | Heidelberg Institute for Geoinformation Technology).
Related to the global COVID 19 response, we recently published a research map around COVID 19, providing an overview of all clinical trials and research, Research on Covid-19. We furthermore support Mark Herringer and the healthsites.io team in COVID-19 logical framework & geospatial data.
I am very looking forward to learning more about the work of this community and how we can work together! Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or if you are interested in learning more about our work.

7 Likes

Welcome @MelanieE! It’s great to have you here. I know a couple of our Research & Learning team members would be interested to learn more about your use of geoinformation. Tagging in @lucas and @maria to take it away!

1 Like

Hi all! I’m Jessie Duan, most recently a Software Engineering Manager at Quora. I’ll be volunteering with Medic Mobile over the next couple of weeks, helping on technical projects.

I’m based in the US on the East Coast, and I’m excited to be here and contribute!

5 Likes

Hi All! I’m Julius, a Software Engineer at Andela currently working with Better Place Forests remotely. When I am not building for mobile or web, I play chess with friends, take one day hikes or probably enjoy a good book.
I’m excited about the Community Health Toolkit and I can’t wait to contribute!

5 Likes

Hello everyone,
I am Mita, software engineer by training, have been leading engineering organizations at Apple, Intuit and other companies. I am currently based in the bay are and happy to help with this effort in any way possible.

5 Likes

Hi everyone, my name is Riya and I just moved back to the Bay Area after working in India as a social impact consultant for a few years. I have experience at the intersection of product management, primary health care and data systems. I’m eager and excited to support this work as a Medic Mobile volunteer!

6 Likes

Hi,

I’m Gaurav, an Engineering Manager at Airbnb, based out of San Francisco. I’m here to help out however I can - be it product management, engineering management, or software engineering work. I can also leverage my network to get us additional software support if needed.

5 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Paul Vial, a data scientist with a background in health informatics. I used to work on medical imaging products at Change Healthcare, and I am now working on a machine learning product for transit systems at Hyperlight Systems. I’ve done some volunteer work for Partners in Health and the International Organization for Migration in the past. I live in Vancouver BC, where I love to spend time outdoors running, backcountry snowboarding, etc., although I’m spending a lot more time indoors these days as I sure all of you are! Relevant Skills: data analytics and visualization, machine learning, statistical modelling. Nice to meet you all!

5 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I’m thrilled to be part of this community. I am three weeks into a new role as Deputy Director at the Community Health Impact Coalition, working closely with @mballard and many other members of this group.

I fortuitously “stumbled” into global public health in 2011 while working for Deloitte Consulting on a health systems strengthening project in Mozambique. I was seconded to the Central Medical Stores and quickly developed an interest in access to medicines which led me to Living Goods. In 2014, I moved to Uganda sight unseen to join LG’s Partnership Team, where I helped launch the first digital tools with CHWs in Uganda (and later watched the brilliant evolution in partnership with Medic Mobile!) and helped LG seed partnerships in Kenya, Zambia, and Myanmar. Along the way, I met so many brilliant practitioners, policymakers, and thinkers - and have been inspired by so many incredible community health workers on the frontlines of the primary healthcare system.

My nights and weekends generally involve MPH schoolwork. I’m nearly at the finish line of my MPH through the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. I live in Charlotte, NC where I love to spend time exercising, working jigsaw puzzles, entertaining my springer spaniel, and cooking. I am an aspiring baker and gardener. And, like many in this group, I love to travel.

I look forward to working with all of you!

6 Likes

Great to have you here @Carey_Westgate! And thank you for posting the CHIC research round up, I think it’s great for the community on this forum to stay up to date with that literature.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I’m Ashley, a Canadian software developer with a background in biology and previous clinical and digital health experience. As a new grad, there’s so much about health, technology, and health technology that I want to learn. I’ve been really interested in contributing, to the point that I started working on an issue already (cht-core #6313). Is this the right place to ask to be added to the github contributor list?

4 Likes

Welcome to the CHT forum @AshleyWWW! This is totally the right place to introduce yourself and get started, and the next step is on Github. I see that #6313 has a Help wanted tag so it’s probably a good fit for your first issue. I’d encourage you to leave a comment on the issue in Github saying that you’d like to work on that issue, so that the core developers at Medic Mobile know that work is underway. You may’ve already seen the Contributing doc, there’s more info in there about submitting your first pull request. For security reasons the policy on the CHT-Core repo is that all pull requests undergo code review by a small number of core developers, and you won’t need to be added to the core contributor list in order to be able to submit a pull request. Let us know if you have any more questions, and thanks in advance for contributing!

By the way, what part of Canada are you from? I live in Seattle but my spouse is from Kelowna, and we have a number of other Canadians in the CHT community :smile: :canada:

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I’m Azra, a PhD student in Human-Centered Computing at Georgia Tech. I joined the forum some time back but started following some of the conversations here more actively recently. So wonderful to see such a great community!

As an ethnographer and designer, I am broadly interested in health and data workflows at the frontlines. Over the past 4 years, I have been working with CHWs and mothers in an underserved region of Delhi to inform the design of technology that takes into account their everyday contexts. I am also very interested in the human-centered design of emerging AI/ML interventions for healthcare provision in the Global South.

I’m always up to chat about human-centered design! In a past life, I was trained as a computer engineer, before I found my passion for community health and design! :smiley:

4 Likes

I just left a comment on the ticket. Thanks for the explanation about the repo guidelines.

I’m from Toronto! Hello to all the other Canadians in the CHT community!

2 Likes

Hi Azra, we’re so glad to have you with us! I’m especially excited about your love of human-centered design — do you have any favorite resources or websites you can share?

1 Like