COVID-19 logical framework & geospatial data

Is there a Logical Framework approach that can be applied to townships/slums and places where there are no ICU beds or ventilators?
Which health facility attributes are most important in the absence of ICU beds and ventilators?
Who are the personas and what are their most important user stories? I understand that in places like Senegal, where I understand there are 19 ICU beds, CHW’s perform the care. How do they work and how do health facilities support them?

I’m trying to populate this document. Please could you share links to similar docs or help establish this one.

1 Like

Here are the attributes healthsites.io collects…

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Global_Healthsites_Mapping_Project#Complete

Here is a ticket we’re using to establish the correct OSM tag to identify testing locations through OpenStreetMap

Once we have this accepted by the OSM community we will be able to invite contributions from the OpenStreetmap community and stakeholders in the health cluster.

Hey @markherringer, I’ve been slow to reply amid the flurry of covid meetings, but I was following your posts and wanted to share a new resource. I’ve been working with @helenelizabeth, @joshnesbit, and others in the Community Health Impact Coalition to draft guidance on the role for community health workers in the global covid response. It’s been incredibly heartening to see the community come together and develop these recommendations so quickly. https://twitter.com/chw_impact/status/1242478712462983168

The next resource is a CHT demo app the Medic team created to support Rapid Diagnostic Tests (RDTs) for COVID once they’re available more broadly. This is a reference use case (based on a protocol that Partners in Health created) that we would expect to adapt for local context on a country-by-country basis. More info and a demo video on this forum topic: New App Supporting CHWs administering COVID-19 Rapid Diagnostic Tests

As the position paper outlines, we’re seeing guidance break down into two types of roles for community health workers. If they have personal protective equipment and RDTs, they’ll do testing; if they don’t have this stuff, their role with focus more on informing the public and social support e.g. food assistance, mental health support. Either way, referral and coordination with facilities that have testing or/and ICU capacity will be important!

Two questions for now:

1. If we want to map locations where CHWs are available for rapid testing, but we don’t want to publish the exact location of their home on a public map, how might we go about placing their information on a public map? Would we share shape files for their whole catchment area, or could we use http://plus.codes to share a neighborhood area with the CHW’s home somewhere undefined in the middle?

2. Say we wanted to create maps with other data that might be useful for organizing the covid response. Say for example, home locations of people tested and locations of confirmed cases. I know this would be beyond the primary focus of healthsites.io but is it something you’d be interested in?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can share!

2 Likes

Hello @isaacholeman ,

Firstly, healthsites.io is a global resource with links and functionality that can be deployed in support of the work you are doing. If there is a specific function / opportunity you can see please let me know.
We have an open API that I’m sure you are aware of already. The data can be used in other applications.

Answers to your questions:

‘If we want to map locations where CHWs are available for rapid testing, but we don’t want to publish the exact location of their home on a public map, how might we go about placing their information on a public map? Would we share shape files for their whole catchment area, or could we use http://plus.codes to share a neighborhood area with the CHW’s home somewhere undefined in the middle?’

I have not worked with plus.codes. However, we have been in a call with WHO, MSF, OCHA today discussing health catchment area’s and how Healthsites could support the definition and maintenance of these areas. I could convene this group around this question. Here is a the current status of the tags in HS:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Global_Healthsites_Mapping_Project#Health_Boundary_Debate

‘Say we wanted to create maps with other data that might be useful for organizing the covid response. Say for example, home locations of people tested and locations of confirmed cases. I know this would be beyond the primary focus of healthsites.io but is it something you’d be interested in?’

Yes, I’m interested.

I wrote this user story today following a conversation with a friend in South Africa:
As a citizen I want to declare my COVID-19 status so that I can optimise the response.

Voluntary geolocated self disclosure allows people to manage quarantine and social distancing far better as well as support government in directing services to where they are needed the most.

What are the risks?
How do we manage them?

1 Like

That’s great @markherringer, thanks for the rapid response. I have a lot to learn here, for example I hadn’t heard of Open Route Service until I saw it in your doc–looks like a cool open source project!

It would be great if you could convene these organizations to establish clear ways of defining health catchment areas in OSM. In CHT deployments we’ve seen a great deal of variability in how catchment areas are organized, in part because the number and type of cadres of health workers varies by country. To accommodate this the 3.7 release of the cht core framework included support for configurable hierarchies, which implementers can use to define how catchment areas report into higher levels of aggregation, but doesn’t define these catchment areas geographically. What's new in the Core Framework: 3.7.0

As for other mapping use cases relevant to covid, let me loop in @amanda @lucas, and @helenelizabeth who I know have been thinking about geospatial projects and covid. If we could keep up with what Mark is doing and follow up with him if/when we have a chance to move forward on a covid mapping use case, that would be great.

2 Likes

Hi @isaacholeman! Thank you for your posts. And great to hear about your interest in the openrouteservice. I am for sure happy to provide further information. What kind of features or functionalities are you interested in? And do you already have specific use cases in mind? We have a couple of examples that I would be happy to share and we are keen to hear abut your ideas.

1 Like

Hi,
I just wanted to provide a quick update on our COVID 19 related efforts. See Quota for openrouteservice multi vehicle optimization increased to support logistics during Corona crisis – GIScience Blog for our latest openrouteservice extension!

2 Likes

Hello @isaacholeman this group has established a wiki page here:

Goal

To create a system that enables each country to manage it’s health boundary data in collaboration with WHO and stakeholders in the Health cluster.

Hello @isaacholeman @amanda @lucas @helenelizabeth I’m writing to pick up on our conversation and share ’ Global maps of travel time to healthcare facilities’ The researchers used the Healthsites.io API - API · healthsites/healthsites Wiki · GitHub which as you may know is OpenStreetMap (OSM) baseline health facility data. - Global maps of travel time to healthcare facilities | Nature Medicine

In addition we’ve made significant progress with GRID3, WHO and others in defining methods for managing and improving health catchment areas with OSM. Here is an example of the work in progress: DRC Health Zone and Health Area boundaries - Humanitarian Data Exchange

3 Likes

Thanks so much for this update @markherringer! I know @lucas has continued his work in this space and would be keen to dive into the progress you shared.