Can we show Label instead of name from choices in reports

At present we are showing up the selected choice name instead of label in reports. Can we display choices Label in the place of choice name in reports?

Choices Sheet:
List_name: reasons
name: childhood_illness
Label: Childhood Illness

choices name

1 Like

A common way to do that is with the jr:choice-name() function. You can see more info about that in this response.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you encounter any issues using it.

2 Likes

Hi @marc . Thank you for your quick reply.

`jr:choice-name()’ is working only for select_one .If its select multiple the selected options is not showing up in reports .Only the path is showing up .

I am trying to display the selected options with ‘,’ separate and the below calculation is working if i have to show the multiple selected options on from .In reports only the Path is showing up.
concat(jr:choice-name(selected-at(${health_problems}, 0), ‘${health_problems}’), ‘,’,
jr:choice-name(selected-at(${health_problems}, 1), ‘${health_problems}’), ‘,’,
jr:choice-name(selected-at(${health_problems}, 2), ‘${health_problems}’), ‘,’,
jr:choice-name(selected-at(${health_problems}, 3), ‘${health_problems}’), ‘,’,
jr:choice-name(selected-at(${health_problems}, 4), ‘${health_problems}’), ‘,’,
jr:choice-name(selected-at(${health_problems}, 5), ‘${health_problems}’), ‘,’,
jr:choice-name(selected-at(${health_problems}, 6), ‘${health_problems}’), ‘,’,
jr:choice-name(selected-at(${health_problems}, 7), ‘${health_problems}’), ‘,’,
jr:choice-name(selected-at(${health_problems}, 8), ‘${health_problems}’), ‘,’,
jr:choice-name(selected-at(${health_problems}, 9), ‘${health_problems}’), ‘,’,
jr:choice-name(selected-at(${health_problems}, 10), ‘${health_problems}’), ‘,’)

Can you help me if there is any other solution to show multiple selected choice with label on reports.

Just to make sure I understand, could you sketch or mock up what you hope the report to look like? With that we could discuss it further to figure out the best approach.

Hi @marc

In the above image we are showing up choice name of the multiple selected options .I want to show the choice label with ‘,’ separated. I tried to concat the choice names but Nothing is showing up on reports(Its working fine in form).

As the above solution is not working for select_multiple for now I am using ‘contains’ and showing up the selected options as below.

It is very helpful to see what you are trying to achieve there! Displaying the info on the reports tab is indeed different than showing it in the form. I’ll explore a bit to see what’s going on.

Are you able to share your form for testing? I want to reproduce the behaviour that you are seeing with the jr:choice-name for a multiple select, especially since you have it working in the form but not the report view.

Hi @marc and @bindugowrig, was this issue resolved - as I found myself in the same situation.

As the screenshots show, the form properly displays the labels but the report displays the choice name.

Please share any updates on this, thank you.

1 Like

the form

sorry i couldn’t share all the screenshots at a go since i’m a new user

I am not sure if or how @bindugowrig resolved it on their side. Either way, it seems worth exploring further how the report view can be improved.

@michael are report page improvements currently being explored? If not, could that be added as an area of improvement for later consideration?

Thanks @marc, we don’t have any specific improvements planned at the moment for the reports page and I haven’t found anything related in Github.

@kawerewagaba can you tell us a bit more about the users that are seeing this and how they normally use this page? For example… is it normally supervisors, admins, or CHWs? Are they searching for specific things or doing random checks?

hi @michael. admins and chw see this. they have requested to replace the "programmatic" responses with more human-readable copy - for a better experience, generally

The ability to translate the report field values (choice names) would also be very useful when the report is viewed in languages other than the language used for storing the values.

Scenario:
There is a project which is entirely used in the Nepali language, but our choice names are close to English. e.g. visited, not_visited
Because of this, the users can not fully use the app in Nepali.
We also considered using Nepali text in the forms choice names, but that made data analysis difficult for those who didn’t know Nepali.

1 Like

Thanks for all the great context. I think this opportunity fits well into the “Intuitive UI/UX” initiative which is the next initiative on the Care Team’s roadmap. I will add it in the appropriate place to make sure it is addressed.

1 Like

@binod @kawerewagaba I found an existing issue related to this. I wonder if the “brute force” option mentioned here will be useful for you?

1 Like