GPS data collection experiences

Hi all,

I’m curious to know if anyone in the community has collected or used GPS data programatically through the CHT, and if so, what are you using it for? Or if anyone has explored any ideas of GPS data usage in health systems at all I’d love to hear your experiences!

1 Like

Hey @Nicole_Orlowski!

One question and one possible answer:

Q: What do you mean when you say “collected or used GPS data programmatically”? I know, for example, all CHT forms collect GPS data in the background if permission given to CHT Android and GPS radio is on. No docs on this just yet, but there’s a ticket which gives an example JSON payload. Is this what you mean?

Or do you mean having a required field in a form of type geopoint which will prevent a CHW from proceeding unless they give a latitude and longitude input (very likely from GPS)?

A: I worked on a project where the Ministry of Health had CHWs gathering information about the spread of COVID-19 and labeled each report with one of: Suspected, Tested or Confirmed along with GPS data. With the resulting data, a heat map was generated so that areas with more or less of an outbreak could easily be detected.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @mrjones ! I should have asked those two questions separately; collected GPS data for 1 and used it to inform programmatic decisions as the 2nd :sweat_smile:

Heat maps as an output is definitely helpful to know! Are you able to share what the heat maps were used for, or what actions were taken based on the data shown on the map?